Thursday, October 1, 2020

NaNoPrepMo - checking the premises

I know, I'm really bad at finishing things, I love challenges, but... uh. I'm a multipotentialite, not a finisher :-D My job is to inspire, not to do. So, I hope I inspire you to write.

Here's some encouragement: following novels were written during NaNoWriMo...
Rainbow Rowell, Fangirl.
Hugh Howey, Wool Omnibus.
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus.
Alan Averill, The Beautiful Land.
Jason M. Hough, The Darwin Elevator.
Marissa Meyer, Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress.
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

It's not a bad list. I would love to read yours :-)
(Frankly, I would love to see mine on the list, but considering that I'm 51, I haven't written a book yet, and I have been writing for as long as I can remember - one of my favorite books as kid was written by another 8 years old, so there has never been the idea of "I'm not old enough to be a writer". It's just that I never finish anything.)

What I want you to do today, is to write 1000 words.

We do this to find out your ideal conditions of writing.

It doesn't matter what those words are, you can just as well just copy a text or write a letter or anything. It would of course be best if you were writing an original short story of your own, something as close to what you will be writing in a month as you can get without writing that :-D Because that would be breaking the rules. Though, you can break the rules, no-one will ever know.

I want you to do this, because you need to know what you need to be able to do that.
How do you write best? By hand, by computer, by an old fashioned typewriter? Some other way?
What do you need to do that? Paper, pens, typewriter? Do you have them, do you have enough, if not, where can you get more? Write down what you need to get and plan the date to get it.

What time of the day do you write best? Early in the morning, late at night, middle of the day? Can you arrange your schedule so that you get that time free every day to write? Do you need to talk with your employer, or take the whole month off? Do you need to start waking up earlier to write? Start doing that now, so that you are used to it in November, and know when you need to go to bed.

Do you like background music? If so, what kind? Create your writing playlist. See that your music player is in order.

Do you like to eat or drink something as you write? Now is the time to test different snacks and beverages to find what fuels you best. Stock your storage.

How long time did it take you to write 1000 words? You need to write 1667 words every day for 30 days, so reserve twice the time for writing every day.

But it's good if you get the schedule in order before November. This is the kind of things Preptober is meant for.

Where do you like writing? In bed, by a desk, on the sofa, outside? Test different spaces, and prepare your favorite so that it's ready for you the first on November. Most people will be writing by a desk, and during October you should clean it and organize it so that you can freely use it.

See that you have your plot board and all that kind of things if you use them.

What do you like to wear? See that you have your writing attire ready and in order, with enough backup and clean change, unless you want to wear the same things the whole month.

 Any other things you can think of? Would you like to have fresh flowers at your writing space? A nice picture on the wall? Maybe an inspiration board?



No comments: