Friday, September 18, 2020

"Finally Autumn" book tag

The original video used to be here. Like, two or more years ago... Well, book tags never die, and I'm doing this now. Inspired by paperbackdreams. And, like her, I'll use the books I've read this year. As much as I can.

1. In fall, the air is crisp and clear: name a book with a vivid setting!

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton made me feel the landscape. If it was vivid... I don't know.
I think "vivid" would be A Blade so Black by L.L.McKinney, but... it wasn't quite as effective as Edith Wharton's setting.

2. Nature is beautiful… but also dying: name a book that is beautifully written, but also deals with a heavy topic like loss or grief.

The Deep by Rivers Solomon
The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins
and
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

3. Fall is back to school season: share a non-fiction book that taught you something new.

Charlie Chan by Yunte Huang
and
Let the People Pick the President by Jesse Wegman

4. In order to keep warm, it’s good to spend some time with the people we love: name a fictional family/household/friend-group that you’d like to be a part of.

Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson :-D

5. The colourful leaves are piling up on the ground: show us a pile of fall-colored spines!

Books on the shelf:
Deepak Chopra; The Return of Merlin (haven't red)
Brian Jacques; Redwall - Mattimeo - The Bellmaker (have read, some even this year :-D)
Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Anne Scarborough; Catacombs (have read, a couple of years ago.)
H.C.Andersen's fairytales part I (leatherbound in Danish) (have read)
Kathryn Lasky; Guardians of Ga'Hoole boxed set, books 1-4; The Capture, The Journey, The Rescue and The Siege (haven't read)
Naomi Novik; His Majesty's Dragon (have read, this year)
Aesop's And Other Fables, introduction by Ernest Rhys (a lovely little book from Everyman's Library 1957) (have read)
Ellen Datlow; Snow White, Blood Red (have read, many years ago)
Susanna Clarke; Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (have read)
Conn Iggulden; War of the Roses, Stormbird (started reading, extremely boring, DNF)
Stephen King; Night Shift (I think I have read it, but I'm not sure...)


6. Fall is the perfect time for some storytelling by the fireside: share a book wherein somebody is telling a story.

The Man Who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling is basically a book of someone telling a story

I am a Cat by Natsume Soseki has a couple of people who tell stories

7. The nights are getting darker: share a dark, creepy read.

I don't tend to read dark, creepy reads, but here's the darkest, creepiest I've read this year:

The Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
Le Horla by Guy de Maupassant
Vampyre by John William Polidori
The Invisible Man by H.G.Wells
Casting the Runes by M.R.James

8. The days are getting colder: name a short, heartwarming read that could warm up somebody’s cold and rainy day.

I haven't read anything such... the closest I get is Starless Sea, but that's not short.
I suppose I need to read something like that...
But - I recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows I read last year.

9. Fall (luckily, it’s my favourite season) returns every year: name an old favourite that you’d like to return to soon.

Lucy Maud Montgomery's and Louisa M. Alcott's books. (If you want recommendations, I say Blue Castle and Old-Fashioned Girl)
Terry Pratchett. (I suggest Johnny and the Dead for Autumn, suitable for Halloween and so. :-D Goes well with Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.)

10. Fall is the perfect time for cozy reading nights: share your favourite cozy reading “accessories”!

 Cat, blanket, cup of tea :-D

That is, not me, but it's absolutely perfect; comfy blankie, cats, cuppa and book... and lovely autumn colors.


No comments: