* First identify the hindrances
1) Attitude problems
a. False humility (can’t be much so won’t try)
b. Already know how (need “fresh” challenges)
c. Undisciplined (need to evaluate priorities)
a. What is more important than your writing time?
b. Don’t let the good crowd out the best. Decide which is most important.
3) No Place and Time (or inconsistency)
a. If writing is your calling, need a regular time and place to do it.
b. Routine is not boring. Need to see revision, writing exercises, etc. as practice to perfect your work.
4) Wrong Goals
a. get rich or be famous
b. your book is going to change the world or people
Overcoming Writing Obstacles, parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 (will be published tomorrow...)
Planned writing time and overcoming obstacles
Obstacles for writers
1) Read good literature (Choose your ideal wisely - don't copy a best-seller but your all time favorite author to mimic.)
2) You haven't written The Book yet... keep writing.
3) you can only write what you know, so know more, experience more, study, educate yourself
4) eliminate distractions
5) don't let the negative critique put you down, use it to improve your writing
6) make writing a routine
How to Motivate Yourself to Write
1) don't sweat over the to-do-list.
2) Subtract before you add (Off with old, on with new)
1) Resist outer and inner clutter. Clean up, get organized.
2) Resist the “I’ll do it later” temptation and do it now.
4) Forget failure, keep trying.
5) Take chunks of time but also do writing things many moments during the day:
a. Waiting in line - planning a plot
b. Meditation in motion - mindless chores, think new lines
c. Take note of events, people, conversations when out shopping etc. Put them in your stories.
d. Use a cassette tape in the car.
e. Write notes when ideas come, use a journal.
f. Write something every day
1) A sense of fulfilling your calling
2) Praise - from "I like it" to possible prizes ;-)
3) IF you get published, you will get some money. If you're lucky, you will be able to support yourself. If you are REALLY lucky, you'll get rich. :-D
"If you want to do something, just do it."
Other good links:
Warming Up to Writing
Time to Write