Thursday, July 8, 2021

Why do you think you have the right to write --- characters?

 Yes, I am sorry, but I was born white, and I am a straight cis woman. I am fully abled physically, I am Autistic, I have FM, I am overweight, I am youngest of six kids, but have no children of my own, I am happily married to a transman, who is as white as I am. I was brought up by a Christian mother, but I am Pagan, my husband is Jewish.

I will be writing GLBTQA+ characters, male characters, characters of different colors, races, and species, of varying abilities, religions, etc. I will be writing mothers and fathers, grandparents and grandchildren, and families, friends, co-workers and strangers, people having different occupations and hobbies, skills and talents, and everything between heaven and earth, and I don't think any of them will be exactly like me. They all will have something of me in them, of course, because that's what anyone can ever write.

Because I believe we are all human beings, and the essential humanity is something that's the same in every human being. Even my non-human characters will have this human essence, because I am a human and cannot write anything but human characters. I believe love is love, be it between a man and a woman, a woman and a woman, a man and a man, lovers, family members, friends - I believe we all recognize the love if we have ever loved anyone. 



No comments: