Sunday, January 20, 2019

Reading challenges 2019

I want to read 150 books this year. I know, I'm 2 weeks late, but - I think it'll go. After all, there is no definition of what makes a book ;-) I can read a children's book in a day, or a graphic novel.

I have collected different reading challenges all over the internet. I am a sucker for challenges :-D

1) POPsugar reading challenge

Regular
1. A book becoming a movie in 2019
Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

2. A book that makes you nostalgic
C.S.Lewis, the horse and his boy

3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction)
Life by Keith Richards (I have started reading it already, and I like it.)

4. A book you think should be turned into a movie
Haven't decided this yet

5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads
I suppose it's high time to read the Hunger Games...

6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover
The Golden Tulip by Rosalind Laker
Another book I have already started to read. A friend of mine was reading it, and I started reading it when I was waiting for her... That was some 30 years ago...

7. A reread of a favorite book
Patricia Wrede, Dealing with Dragons

8. A book about a hobby
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier  or Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

9. A book you meant to read in 2018
Oh... there's so many of these. I'm sure I'll find something from my TBR list.

10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover
The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss
Yes, the robe or cape or what ever it is

12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore
The Simoqin Prophecies by Samit Basu

13. A book published posthumously
The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
Another book I have already started reading... also some 30 years ago :-D

14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie
Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernières (Notting Hill)


15. A retelling of a classic
Carole Nelson Douglas: Irene Adler series *

16. A book with a question in the title
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
This is one of my guilty secrets. I think of myself as a scifi reader and I have never read this one...*blush*

17. A book set on college or university campus
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

18. A book about someone with a superpower
---?

19. A book told from multiple POVs
Possession by A.S. Byatt

20. A book set in space
C.S.Lewis; space trilogy

21. A book by two female authors
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Potato Peel Pie recipe from Random House

22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title
Spicy Little Curses by Laini Taylor or The Secret of A Spicy Jalapeno by Charlie Courtland

23. A book set in Scandinavia
Michael Mortimer; Jungfrustenen or Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Both on my TBR list... I have started both. *blush*

24. A book that takes place in a single day
Twice Round the Clock : Twenty Four Hours in Victorian London by George Augustus Sala

25. A debut novel
Recipes for Love and Murder by Sally Andrew

26. A book that's published in 2019
Winter’s Promise by Christelle Dabos
It's TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH 2019, Les fiancés de l'hiver was published 2013
I should read it in French, but... hmm... it wasn't published 2019 in French.

27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature
His Majesty's Dragon series by Naomi Novik. I bought the first for my husband some time ago, and he liked it and bought the rest, and I haven't STILL read it. *blush*

28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire
The Golden Notebook, Doris Lessing / The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
the celebrity is Barack Obama. He has recommended a LOT of books, and I'm sure everyone finds something interesting there. Now, not everyone admires him.

29. A book with LOVE in the title
Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel García Márquez

30. A book featuring an amateur detective
Carole Nelson Douglas: Irene Adler series *

31. A book about a family
Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
I might as well read it in German

32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America
Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor

33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title
Under Capricorn by Helen Simpson

34. A book that includes a wedding
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell  or Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter
Rick Riordan Kane Chronicles
Another book series we have and I haven't read... The thing is that I lead my husband to Rick Riordan, through Percy Jackson. I read those books first and recommended them to my boys, and he went on reading all Rick Riordan he could get his hands on :-D

36. A ghost story
The Doll in the Garden by Mary Downing Hahn (It reminds me of Maria Gripe's Agnes Cecilia)

37. A book with a two-word title
---?

38. A novel based on a true story
Nicola Griffith - Hild
though I might choose something else from my library

39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game
The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte  or Fire by Katherine Neville
Both revolve around chess.
I have wanted to read the Flanders Panel since I saw the movie, and Fire has been on my TBR since it was published. I love Eight, the first book in the series.

40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge
A book that came out the year you were born; Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin

Advanced
41. A "cli-fi" (climate fiction) book
The MaddAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood (or at least Oryx and Crake)

42. A "choose-your-own-adventure" book
NO, NAY, NEVER! I hate these books!

43. An "own voices" book
I would have wanted a book written by the Sami people.

44. Read a book during the season it is set in
---? I'm saving this for the future Christmas reading challenges

45. A LitRPG book
Vasily Mahanenko - Survival Quest

46. A book with no chapters / unusual chapter headings / unconventionally numbered chapters
Brandon Sanderson: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

47.- 48. Two books that share the same title
The Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett and by Sergei Lukyanenko

49. A book that has inspired a common phrase or idiom
Stephen King - Christine (piehole)

50. A book set in an abbey, cloister, monastery, vicarage, or convent
The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh


If I manage to read all these books, I will have read 1/3 of my 150 books goal
More, if I find the first book of a series interesting enough to read the whole series. There's a couple of series on this list. 

No comments: